Join us as we celebrate the oldest African American church & school in Houston Texas...what an honor!!!
In addition to the pageant we are planning to recognize the oldest historically African American church. Antioch Missionary Baptist Church and the oldest school, Booker T. Washington.
Antioch Missionary Baptist
Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, the first African American Baptist Church in Houston, Texas, was organized in January 1866 by former slaves. These individuals were assisted by white missionaries from the First Baptist Church and the German Baptist Church. Antioch’s members worshiped at the two churches until they decided to hold services on Buffalo Bayou in what was called “Brush Arbor.” Shortly thereafter, the congregation moved to “Baptist Hill,” located at Rusk and Bagby streets. In 1868, John Henry (Jack) Yates, one of Antioch’s members, was ordained as a minister and became the church’s first pastor. Responding to the growth of the membership in 1875, Yates led his congregation in constructing a new edifice. A red brick church was designed by African American Richard Allen, a former member of the Texas Legislature, and became the first house of worship owned by African Americans in Houston.
The church, located in Freedman’s Town, was the center of activity for the African American community in the 19th and 20th centuries. Antioch provided former slaves with opportunities to learn about God while assisting them in developing economically, educationally and socially. Under Jack Yates’s leadership (1868–1900) members were assisted in buying property, owning homes and starting businesses. Antioch, in conjunction with Trinity Methodist Church, purchased Emancipation Park in 1872 to provide a place for recreational activities and community celebrations. The Baptist Academy, sponsored by Antioch, taught reading, writing and arithmetic as well as vocational trades. The Academy later became the Houston College for Negroes, one of the antecedents of Texas Southern University.
Today Antioch sits in the midst of downtown Houston skyscrapers. Although overshadowed by tall buildings, its presence is a testimony to black legacy, heritage and preservation.
Booker T. Washington
Booker T. Washington is a giant in Houston's history books - the city's first African-American high school and later home to its first magnet school, a renowned engineering program.
The school was established in 1893 on West Dallas in the Fourth Ward as "Colored High." In 1928, it was renamed Booker T. Washington High School. It moved to its current Independence Heights location in 1959.